The temptation to pick a highly-hyped weight loss pill from the market in the hope to shed weight quickly can most probably be the most unwise decision that you can make with regards to your health. Weight loss pills and fat cutters that claim to melt fat from your body may do more harm to your body than good. There’s just one right way to shed excess weight and get healthy at the same time – by following a healthy diet and exercising on a regular basis (at least 4 to 5 days in a week). The shortcuts to faster weight loss in the form of pills (that you have to orally consume) will only reduce the initial water weight but not more than that. Also, the fun trivia here – almost all these pills advise you to reduce calories, cut down on unhealthy carbs, eat healthy, and exercise – a few sureshot ways to actually lose weight without popping these pills! In this post, we delve and explain why dieting and exercise are better options than taking weight loss pills.
How Most Weight Loss Pills Claim To Work?
1. By suppressing appetite – so that you do not feel hungry for most part of the day.
2. Boosting metabolism through herbal or synthetic extracts.
3. Reducing absorption of nutrients like fat in the body.
4. Inhibiting fat cell synthesis.
5. By promoting a feeling of fullness.
Common Ingredients in Weight Loss Pills:
1. Caffeine: It claims to work by suppressing appetite.
2. Hydroxycitric acid: Garcinia Cambogia, which is a very popular weight loss supplement, is believed to be rich in HCA, which stimulates appetite and boosts fat burning.
3. Raspberry ketones: Thought to suppress appetite and boost metabolism, it has gained popularity among people who follow keto diet.
4. Conjugated linoleic acid: Claims to boost metabolism.
5. Green coffee bean extract: It has caffeine which acts as an appetite suppressant, reduces absorption of fat and glucose in the gut.
Common Side Effects of Weight Loss Pills:
- Short-term benefits.
- Can affect blood pressure.
- Can cause deficiency of nutrients.
- Can disrupt digestive system.
14 Correct Ways to Lose Weight:
1. Stick to Low GI (Glycemic Index) Food Items: As we have mentioned previously, insulin resistance is a major factor why a majority of women fail to lose weight. Eating foods with high glycemic index can cause insulin spikes which leads to storing of extra calories as fat in the body. Pick foods with low glycemic index (less than 55) to lose weight effectively. Some examples of low GI foods are apple, chickpeas, lentils, soy beans, brown rice, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, onion, radish, spinach, sweet potato, yam, etc.
2. Go Low on Salt/Sodium: Salt has quite a bad name in weight loss circles because high levels of sodium is often linked to high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease, and increase in weight gain. However, more than white salt in home-cooked food, most people are unaware that they get high sodium intake in the form of processed and junk food. If you want to lose any weight at all, go low on salt and sodium levels.
3. No frequent snacking: Insulin, which is a fat-storing hormone too, tells the body cells to store fat and also prevents breakdown of fat. Frequent snacking raises insulin levels in the body and too many insulin spikes through the day will result in creation of new fat cells. Restrict snacking to just twice a day, without indulging in high-calorie food. Opt for healthy snacks like apple and nuts such as almonds, walnuts, or even peanuts.
4. Follow the correct diet and eating routine: Eating less is not always the right way to lose weight, you need to follow diet routine to effectively lose weight. Follow Rati Beauty diet programs which teach you what to eat and when to eat, and above all, to lose weight the healthy way.
5. Lift Weight to Lose Weight: There’s no use running on the treadmill for hours together if you are not lifting weights. The best way to lose weight is by combining cardio with lifting weights and also HIIT (high intensity interval training) exercises such as jumping jacks, crunches, squats, push ups, burpees, lunges, plank, etc).
6. Get enough sleep: Get enough sleep during the night because spending too much time on the phone at night, Netflix binge, etc., can disturb your sleep pattern leading to slow metabolism, increase in hunger hormone (ghrelin), decrease in fullness hormone (leptin), increased cortisol level leading to fat storage, and decreased insulin sensitivity. Follow a strict sleep schedule, avoid using phone late into the night, and finish your last meal before 7 pm to get better sleep.
7. Maintain a Food Journal/Diary: It’s one of the best decisions that you can make to effectively lose weight. Maintain a food diary and jot down every food item that you have taken that day. Count the calories and get rid of anything which is high calorie, high sodium, and low in nutrient value.
8. Drink Enough Water through the day: We cannot stress enough how water can do amazing things for your body, including aiding in weight loss. Keep your body hydrated to boost sluggish metabolism and also to get rid of weight retention and bloating.
9. Include Healthy Fats in your diet: Don’t be scared of eating “fats,” but just make sure you are consuming healthy fats to burn fat stored in the body. Healthy fat will keep your appetite in check and avoid frequent snacking. Healthy fats also help build muscle faster and also prevents nutrient loss during the cooking process, which means your body gets more essential nutrients that are not lost during the cooking process. Ghee, coconut oil, nuts are some amazing examples of healthy fats.
10. Eat Metabolism-Boosting Foods: In the end, what matters the most in weight loss, is a healthy metabolism. A high metabolism will help in quick burning of calories through the day. Almonds, green tea, green vegetables, whole grains are some examples of metabolism-boosting foods. Here are 9 Ways to Speed Metabolism to Lose Weight.
11. Eat high-protein food: Protein in the diet increases the levels of the satiety hormones in the body, also reduces appetite, thereby also reducing the hunger hormone. In order to lose weight fast, you need to consume more protein and less of carbohydrates and fats.
12. Keep one cheat meal a week: You are allowed to cheat once a week from healthy eating. Just remember to get back to healthy eating after that. A cheat meal (not cheat day) will not only help you to satisfy all your cravings, it will also help to kickstart your metabolism back again if it has become low.
13. Check out all white refined items from your diet: Absolutely refrain from “white” from your diet – that means no refined sugar, white salt, white flour, etc.
14. Bring in more fiber: A high-fiber rich diet is great for digestion and weight loss. Fiber helps you to keep fuller for longer, lowers cholesterol, and controls sharp spike in insulin levels. Here are some high-fiber items that you can include in your diet.
As we have always maintained, there can be no effective way than a good diet and exercise to lose weight, please do not compromise on these factors.