Minerals are nutrients that are necessary to run a lot of important body functions, from carrying blood to your vital organs to relaying neurotransmitters in the brain. Calcium and magnesium are some minerals that are required to run up to 300 functions in the human body. But the minerals that we would be talking about in this post are essential if you want to lose weight. If you have been trying hard and sweating it out at the gym for hours along and still not seeing any positive result on the weighing scale, you might be deficient in one or more of these minerals in your body. It’s time to look at the food that you may be consuming because including more processed food in your diet can deprive you of essential vitamins and minerals that only whole and natural foods can provide. It is important to get your minerals from organic food rather than depending on supplements. In this article, we will be talking about Minerals That Help you Shed Extra Weight.
Why Minerals are Needed for Weight Loss?
1. Improve stamina and boost energy.
2. For healthy nerve and muscle function.
3. Reduce stress levels.
4. Increase endurance during exercise.
5. Increase muscle performance.
6. Boost metabolism.
Deficiency of Minerals:
1. Can trigger metabolic syndrome.
2. Can lead to insulin resistance and glucose intolerance.
3. Disturbed sleep pattern.
4. Stress and depression.
5. Weight gain.
7 Minerals That Help you Shed Extra Weight:
1. Magnesium: Magnesium levels in the body regulates blood glucose levels and a good control over glucose matters a lot when it comes to weight loss. Maintenance of blood glucose levels also means there would be less insulin spikes and lesser creation of new fat cells. Magnesium helps to calm your mind down and decrease stress levels in the body, and also to increase serotonin (which is also called “happy chemical”) that regulates feelings such as mood and happiness. High serotonin level means you would feel good about yourself and life in general. Interestingly, people with major depression have been found to have magnesium deficiency, so up your intake of magnesium through a healthy diet. Food Sources of Magnesium: Quinoa, almonds, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, oats, flaxseed, capsicum, chia seeds are all good sources of magnesium.
2. Calcium: It helps you burn more fat stored in the body. Prevents your body from storing fat.
Makes you feel fuller for longer. Within the body cells, if there is adequate calcium, that cell will burn more fat. Adequate calcium in the body increases breakdown of fat in the bloodstream and preserves thermogenesis, accelerating the weight loss process. Promotes thermogenesis by converting a portion of dietary calories to heat instead of storing it as body fat. When the calcium levels are low, the body tends to make more fat cells. That’s a lot of research to show calcium helps burn fat. Diets that are high in calcium are associated with reduced rates of being obese. If one takes the recommended daily intake of calcium, there are less chances of that person developing belly fat. Calcium also suppresses appetite, lowering hunger sensations by 12%. Interestingly, when there is calcium deficiency, the body produces higher levels of calcitriol which is a hormone that leads to production of fat cells. Adequate calcium lowers calcitriol levels, leading to breakdown of fat, lesser production of fat cells, helping you slim down. Food Sources of Calcium: Milk, all milk products, cheese, dry fruits, nuts, quinoa, eggs, etc.
3. Iron: It is one mineral which gets its due importance because when there is a drop in iron, you can immediately feel it with a lack of energy, iron-deficiency anemia, and malaise. Iron is needed to carry oxygen all through your body and improve muscle strength and endurance. When your iron levels are low, you also tend to gain weight because it directly affects thyroid gland, leading to hypothyroidism, making it quite difficult to lose weight. And because you lack energy and metabolism drops, the body stops losing weight.
4. Zinc: Hypothyroidism is a condition when the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones making it a lot difficult for women to lose weight. When there is a deficiency of zinc, the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone leading to weight gain. Just like all the minerals mentioned above, zinc also boosts metabolism and helps burn calories. Food Sources of Zinc: Sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, green leafy vegetables, spinach, nuts, and even dark chocolate.
5. Potassium: It is an essential mineral that is needed in good proportion in the body to maintain the pH level of body. It also boosts metabolism and improves muscle function. Potassium helps to increase the basal metabolic rate or resting metabolic rate which is the amount of calories that you burn while staying at rest. Sources of Potassium: Banana is a rich source of potassium, along with spinach, broccoli, potatoes, cucumbers, green peas, sweet potatoes, etc.
6. Manganese: It’s a mineral that’s needed in smooth running of brain functions. It also reduces inflammation in the body and helps regulate blood sugar level. It also activates certain enzymes that are needed for metabolic activity and that’s the reason why it is essential for burning of calories. Food Sources of Manganese: Oats, almonds, brown rice, spinach, pumpkin seeds, pineapple, peanuts, etc.
10 Ways to Increase Minerals to Lose Weight:
1. Cut down on processed food – they provide no nutritional value and generally are devoid of minerals and vitamins.
2. Eat whole foods.
3. Opt for organic foods mostly.
4. Cut down on sugar.
5. Follow Rati Beauty diet programs which help one lose weight with the clean eating and including of healthy food.